Sunday, May 1, 2011

Joan Morris and Shibori with Natural Dyes

I've registered for a workshop with Joan Morris (http://www.joanmorrisartist.com/Joanies_Website/Home.html) being taught at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts during the first full week of classes this spring. The name of the class is "Shaped-Resist Dyeing into the Future," and we'll be using shibori techniques with natural dyes made from plants and, uh, bugs, if we're lucky!

Yoshiko Wada's book on shibori was first published in 1983; at that time my local bookseller ordered it from Kodansha and I remember having to wait for a month for it to arrive. Shibori: The Innovative Art of Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing by Wada, Mary Kellog Rice and Jane Barton is still the largest and best single volume on shibori. You can frequently find a softbound copy in the Arrowmont bookstore or you can set the GoodShop feature on your computer to allow Amazon to donate a percentage of your purchase to Arrowmont if you buy your books there.

I've owned every book written on shibori at one time or another, but I've kept only Wada's book, Karren Brito's Shibori: Creating Color & Texture on Silk (her colors are just exquisite), Mandy Southan's Shibori Designs & Techniques (with eye-popping, easy to follow photographs) and Shibori for Textile Artists by Janice Gunner (with close-ups of many techniques in indigo's many shades). I also found an e-book that I not only purchased for myself, but also for friends who dye:  Orizomegami: Making Fold and Dye Papers by Kristin Lawson. This book is available at Kristin's Etsy shop, Yoshubla.



When I first found out about shibori, I stitched and dyed t-shirts, then stirred for what seemed hours in drywall buckets full of Rit dye. I have only one of those shirts left, but they were easy to stitch and dye, and I should probably make some more (in a larger size, cough!)



I made patterns on large pieces of paper, darkened the stitching lines with black permanent marker and laid the pattern under the fabric I was going to  stitch. Using a blue water-erase pen I traced the stitching lines onto the fabric and after folding the fabric I was ready to stitch. Great tv work then; now it's Netflix or DVDs or riding in the car - a great portable project.

It's been over twenty five years since I've done more than one or two pieces of shibori, and I'm really looking forward to this weeklong workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment