Friday, May 20, 2011

Artists and Philanthropy

It's good to have a favorite non-profit organization, and it's good to give to that organization.  Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts is my school, my non-profit. I live, however, on a strict budget, and find that I have to be creative even when I'm planning my annual giving. Actually, the gifts that I have come up with over the past few years have been a lot more fun to make that just writing a check for a donation.

Several years ago I was making some samples of polymer clay techniques and thought that I ought to make the samples into something. Using the shape of a souvenir pin made of Pollard house siding, I first made several tiny brass cookie cutters then cut sheets of patterned clay into arrows. I attached pin backs, baked them, added paint or embossing powder, rebaked the arrows and took a collection with me the next time I took a summer course. They are small, they are inexpensive and pretty soon everyone but the teacher ( "I don't wear jewelry") was sporting an arrow.  Before I left the campus I was able to hand Jennifer Brown a check along with the remaining arrow pins. Since that time I have tried to contribute special pieces to the annual art auctions at Arrowmont because the proceeds from those sales far exceed the amount of cash that I could contribute. In addition, I work much harder on pieces for donation to make certain that each one is as close to perfect as I can make it.

A very generous polymer clay artist is Dr. Ron Lehocky, a Louisville, Kentucky, pediatrician who has made well over 12,000 heart pins to benefit The Kids Center for Pediatric Therapies. As he has honed his artist's skills in polymer clay he has raised over $120,000 for the pediatric center. His hearts for all seasons incorporating every imaginable clay technique have become collectors' items that are unique and affordable. See more about him here and contact Ron for your own hearts.

Last year Arrowmont auction attendees snapped up Bonnie Allen's concrete stepping stones with inlaid stained glass mosaics; she also sold out her stock when she offered them to her church's fundraising auction. Elaine and Stan Fronczek are tireless volunteers for many activities at Arrowmont; the hours and miles that they contribute to the school would be very costly if they were paid as employees.

Each of these artists has turned his or her energy into a contribution that is greater than the investment in materials used. I am not only cheering my artist friends but I am also encouraging those around me to find an organization and contribute more than cash - contribute yourself and your work.

Meanwhile, this weekend I will be mixing and rolling, impressing and cutting and baking little arrows. I'll be texturing most of them with my favorite soft texture sheets from Victoria James.

Victoria seeks out interesting textures in nature and in art and captures them with a medium that can then be rolled or pressed against raw clay to replicate the surface of the original object. If you play with clay you need some of her texture sheets!








 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Susan, for being creative in your work and in the ways you support Arrowmont. Joining us for a workshop is one of the best ways to support the school and enrich one's own life. All our volunteers and supporters are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete