Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Annual Mug-Shot

The week-long courses at Arrowmont begin with registration in the main lobby on Sunday afternoon, delivering supplies and materials to the classroom, hauling suitcases to one's assigned room and finding a parking place for one's automobile. The first scheduled activity is dinner in the dining room at 6:00 pm, and our menu included roast beef, salad with a choice of dressings, several vegetables and homemade breads. A vegetarian main course is always available and a selection of beverages is offered at each meal. New students learn quickly that meals are served promptly at  posted times and that it pays not to be late.

At seven PM most students and instructors met in the auditorium for a welcome from the Executive Director, Bill May, with introductions of staff members and resident artists, then we were off to our individual studios for a couple of hours of instruction.

I made a detour, on the way to the fabric classroom, to Resident Artist Shawn O'Connor's studio, high on the wooded ridge of the campus to pick out my annual Arrowmont mug.

I bought one of Shawn's mugs last year for my husband, and have had a serious case of mug envy ever since then. This mug made morning coffee taste wonderful, and at home it reminds me of my week at Arrowmont. Of course, since Shawn had a studio full of his Arrowmont work I couldn't stop at just a mug and just had to pick out a couple of other pieces to take home. The nice thing about pottery is that if you use it before giving it as a gift, the recipient never knows about it.  This is Shawn's last week at Arrowmont before he makes the long trek home to Maine, but you can see more of his work here, and shop his Etsy store as well.

After my shopping adventures, I got to the fabric studio late, but the two hours there were well-spent, introducing ourselves (we had a fairly large class of thirteen students) and inspecting dyed fabric samples that Joan Morris had brought. That evening and on each following day Joan outlined her lesson plans so that we would know what to expect to be working on next.

By the time Joan ended our meeting I was wore slap out, and ready for bed. My room in Teacher's cottage was the very best I've ever stayed in but I didn't have much time to appreciate it before my head hit the pillow and I was sound asleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment